From: Barry Fawthrop <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:57:10 PM
Subject: Where is the Wireless line?

Hi All

Where does the wireless line being and end with regards to "illegal access"

Concept:

If company A has a wireless network (unprotected) No Encryption,
Broadcasting SSID, Default Acesss point user_name and password.

You know they need security. So is it wrong to
access the network and print to their printer a document
saying "You need security, I just accessed your network"

Or would one have to have permission first!.
I'm not talking about accessing data and files, but using the printer
and printing on their paper that they need help!!!.
And then going in and asking for a security contract having proved
beyond doubt that they need it.

Otherwise before hand it is just your word & experience against theirs
and obviously they are not going to admit they need help without being
shown?

Curious to hear your comments, or possible solutions to the same/similar
problems??

Thanks
Barry

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

  • RE: palm VIIx wireless modem
    ... Here is a Wireless LAN Security FAQ, ... What are solutions to minimizing WLAN risk? ... that connects clients to the internal network. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Wireless Audit Cost
    ... "complete analysis" - to me this means that a full audit of both ... the wired and wireless networks is taking place. ... network off the internal LAN. ... >network has the usual security measures in place, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Where is the Wireless line?
    ... If company A has a wireless network No Encryption, ... You know they need security. ... Need to secure your web apps NOW? ... buy it or download a solution FREE today! ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Wireless security question...
    ... > related to wireless security. ... to the computer on that network that's a little different, ... Can this hacker take control of the wireless laptop? ... but it depends on the security running on said laptop..if they have ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Wi-Fi: Essential Checklist
    ... I prefer, and heartily recommend, regardless of wireless encryption, ... the most basic and easist form of security, which in this case is WPA. ... Is it access to the network? ... will protect your network from sniffing. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)