Pentesting a network interconnect setup

Hi,

I need some guidance. I am carrying out a pen test of a network
interconnect setup. The scenario is this:

An internal network is connected to an external network through
serial to Ethernet converters and two relays (one on the outward
facing side is normally open and one on the inward facing side is
normally closed). There is an intermediate server between these two
relays. These relays close and open for a certain period of time
depending on a pearl script running on the internal gateway. This
intermediate server is connected to the gateways of both networks
through the serial to Ethernet converters. The user logs into the
outward facing gateway, sends data in a particular format. This is
sent further through the relays and the serial to Ethernet converter
to the intermediate server. The intermediate server does input
validation and accepts data only if it meets this criteria. Once the
relay on the inner side closes (and the relay on the outer side
opens), this data is then sent further onto the internal network.

I hope this description is clear. I need some pointers on how to
pentest this setup and what could be the potential pitfalls in this
setup. Any help would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Ganesh

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

  • RE: DMZ
    ... you've got an internal network consisting of workstations and 1 or more ... or other undesirables would be your DMZ machine which means you can harden ... very secure type of setup as it ensures traffic flows through one and ONLY ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Pentesting a network interconnect setup
    ... interconnect setup. ... An internal network is connected to an external network through ... serial to Ethernet converters and two relays (one on the outward ... There is an intermediate server between these two ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: ISA Server 2004 Question about routing certain websites internally
    ... happens when the autoconfiguration script is applied though. ... The Internal network replaces the local address ... and is configured as part of the setup process. ...
    (microsoft.public.isaserver)
  • Re: labview program online
    ... internal network, but not from your friend on an external network, it's ... not be able to work around this depending on how you network is setup. ... be able configure it so your friend can get to your application. ...
    (comp.lang.labview)
  • Re: Spacewar! on S/360
    ... past posts mentioning internal network ... VNET had modern layered architecture (compared to JES and other of the ... At the time, the internal network had ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)