Re: reverse proxy identification

On 12/01/07, sami ghourabi <sami.ghourabi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I browse to the IPs with firefox, I recieve several messages "No
web site is configured at this address." for some IP.
Does anybody here know if this message is specific to a given reverse
proxy/web server product ?

IIS 4, 5 or 6. The server is being used to host several virtual web
servers, and the page returned depends on the host: header sent by the
browser.

If you send something like:

GET / HTTP/1.0
host: www.example.com

and www.example.com is one of the virtual servers configured, you'll
get the web page sent back to you.

If you don't send a host: header, or the host specified isn't on that
server, you'll get the "no web site is configured at this address".

Host: headers are usually worked out by the browser, based on the DNS
name specified in the URL. Easiest thing to do to change the host
header sent by firefox will be to add entries to your /etc/hosts file
(or %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts if you prefer) - and then use
that hostname in the URL you're surfing to.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300238 for more info.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an easy way of enumerating which
virtual hosts are configured on the server. If possible, try getting
a zone transfer from one of their DNS servers to see which A and CNAME
records are configured to point at that IP address. Otherwise, you're
stuck with trickier methods, like sniffing traffic to see which host
headers are in use, or trying to get the info from some of the end
users.
Maybe do a search for web pages and usenet postings containing
'example.com', and seeing what comes up.

--
AdamT
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not

Need to secure your web apps?
Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast.
Click the link to buy it, try it or download Hailstorm for FREE.

http://www.cenzic.com/products_services/download_hailstorm.php?camp=701600000008bOW

  • Re: Configuring SBS to allow Remote Access
    ... definitely will continue to host the website elsewhere as ... pointing to the SBS server. ... >Port 80 does not need to be opened just to use RRW. ... >else host your web site or but the web site on a ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: Upload form
    ... shoots using my web site. ... My host uses a UNIX server. ... > transfer my site to a Windows server in order to get the upload form to ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: Web Server on XP Pro
    ... the Windows XP into the domain. ... features of the server versions. ... I wonder why you would host the web site on a Windows XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: public web site
    ... You'd create another A record for "www" and point it at your website IP, which you'll get from your website host company when you sign up. ... Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed ... IP and change the A record to point to the IP of my web site? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • gdm hangs
    ... gdm will hang 9 of 10 times when logging out. ... with or without the client having been connected to the Server. ... # Timed login, useful for kiosks. ... Must output the chosen host on stdout, ...
    (Debian-User)