Re: Virtual environments security

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 10:56:35AM -0200, Michel Pereira wrote:
I saw a problem last week when I logged into a Guest OS hosted at a
Virtual Server. I installed ethereal and saw all the traffic that
goes to the entire server, no only my virtual server.
I wanna known if this is a configuration problem of a normal
behavior of every Virtual Machine environment (maybe Vmware has this
problem too)?

Using VMware:
This is because the guest hosts all share the same virtual network
device on the host. I had this problem when setting up some honeypots
using vmware. I solved the problem by making new vmware virtual network
devices and putting the guests on separate devices.

There is one problem with this approach that I haven't really had the
time to investigate --- the guest hosts in this system will not be able
to communicate with each other...

Luke Eckley
http://luke.xifos.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outlook exchange
    ... Nope - that's why you went with Terminal Services. ... running on a virtual server isn't relevant in this context. ... VMware virtual server? ... and I can't open Outlook within a TS session." ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Virtual environments security
    ... What type of networking configuration? ... no only my virtual server. ... behavior of every Virtual Machine environment (maybe Vmware has this ... > Octavian Popescu wrote: ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Sharing ieee 1394 Disk
    ... > Use Virtual Server 2005 or VMWare and you can do it. ... Production servers won't be able to see the firewire drive as anything ... I highly recommend using VS 2005 for your cluster testing and ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
  • Re: Exchange 2007 - Virtualize CAS & Edge Roles
    ... I did E2K7 MBX, CAS, HTS on VMware ESX 3.0.1. ... Intel 5160 CPU, 1Gbps netcard, allocated 3GB RAM for virtual server. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • RE: Linux Virtual Servers
    ... We are using virtuozzo, vmware together. ... Memory saving of virtuozzo is good, I know that vmware have it too, they are ... handle, its more easy, if i need a production virtual server, i need ...
    (RedHat)