Re: PCI Compliance (Vulnerability Scans)

First, why are you looking for a PCI compliant tool?

Second there are only 2 reasons to do vulnerability scanning. If you are
level 1 (merchant, service provider or hacked entity:) then you are
required to have external vulnerability scans by one of the authorized
scanning providers. There is no need here for software as the service
provider does all the work and provides you results.

If you are looking to do your scans internally, there is no specific
needs outlined by PCI for internal vulnerability scans. PCI only says
you need to perform vulnerability scans. With that in mind, Nessus scans
work internally :)

What are you trying to accomplish?

David (Visa-QDSP)

09sparky@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for all the great information (all). I am now wondering though, if you use an automated tool (VA Scanner that claims to be PCI compliant), does that mean whatever it finds and whatever it rates it (i.e. HIGH), is the final word, and the company fails? I guess what I am asking, I was under the impression that PCI scans could be much automated and very little to no user intervention was required (unlike a Vulnerability Assessment/Penetration test). However, many automated tools have false positives. Doesn't a company fail if they have any "HIGH" findings? With that said, are you required to go through each finding and validate? If so, then you have just turned it into a Vulnerability Assessment.

Also, The Automated Tool I have been evaluating claims to be PCI compliant. However, for its discovery phase, it only uses ports 22,23,25,80 and 445. Upon finding any Host with these ports open, it will then run a common port scan. Is this way off? What do most of you do for host discovery (i.e. nmap scans of what ports? or different tools?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sparky

Need to secure your web apps?
Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast.
Click the link to buy it, try it or download Hailstorm for FREE.
http://www.cenzic.com/products_services/download_hailstorm.php?camp=701600000008bOW

Need to secure your web apps?
Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast.
Click the link to buy it, try it or download Hailstorm for FREE.
http://www.cenzic.com/products_services/download_hailstorm.php?camp=701600000008bOW

  • RE: Business justification for pentesting
    ... Run internal and external network vulnerability scans at least ... I would love to see any Pen test which could blindly test #8.5.12... ... Clean results being "The results of each scan satisfy the PCI Security ... >Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Vulnerability scanner/appliance
    ... I can suggest Qualys a good vulnerability product ... Moreover PCI standards focus is on encryption, ... properly securing their environment to do so...but ... When I say there are scanners that will pass the PCI ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: PCI Compliance (Vulnerability Scans)
    ... We use Control Scan for an external scan vendor, ... the others needed approved scanning vendors ... But back to my original question, why are you looking for pci scanning ... >> Second there are only 2 reasons to do vulnerability scanning. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Vulnerability scanner/appliance
    ... There are no PCI certified vulnerability scanners. ... that although certain vulnerability scanner vendors offer ASV services ... With that being said I have no doubt that the ASV services sold by ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Vulnerability scanner/appliance
    ... I didn't mean to get into a big discussion on PCI controls and flaws ... properly securing their environment to do so...but allow me to clarify. ... Subject: Vulnerability scanner/appliance ...
    (Security-Basics)