Clueless firewall configuration ?

Guys, I need to ask a favor, my boss knows nothing of IT
infrastructure, and our "cableguy" (manages the firewall through a
third party contract) proposed to him an architecture as follows :

2 cisco 6509 each with firewall blade in them. These function as core
switches for a 1000 users site with lots of vlans and FW roules
between the vlans (oh and we are a big production site that relies on
these cores to let our ciritical bussiness process machines
communicate to the servers).

He wants to create 2 vlans, 1 for untrusted traffic and 1 vlan for DMZ
machines and assign physical ports to these to connect to the
internet. The DMZ vlan would also have some physical ports. These
ports would not be on the core switch but on the access layer switches
that are fiber attached to the distribution switches that attach to
the cores...

Does anyone care to comment on the security issues a setup as this
would pose? would this be pentest bonanza for you guys? and what would
the hackers make of a dmz vlan living in a big switch together with
other vlans?

I have some ideas myself, but would appreciate your take on this. I
know this is the pentest list but it is you guys who get to poke holes
in these designs...

CCG

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • RE: Clueless firewall configuration ?
    ... Senior IT Security Consultant ... between the vlans (oh and we are a big production site that relies on ... ports would not be on the core switch but on the access layer switches ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Clueless firewall configuration ?
    ... The trend seems to be moving towards application based devices blurring the lines between routers, switches, firewalls, etc. ... Subject: Clueless firewall configuration? ... between the vlans (oh and we are a big production site that relies on ... You have an option to go with a managed service or an enterprise software. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Clueless firewall configuration ?
    ... well ASA for Internet. ... these switches also provide routing modules, ... configuration mistake on the switch firewall connected ... between the vlans (oh and we are a big production site that relies on ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Firewall and VLAN security design
    ... Because of the way that switches deal with broadcasts, ... The SAFE methodology calls for defence in depth and Private VLANS are one of ... Firewall and VLAN security design ... > This is a FAQ, and the usual answer is that no, VLAN separation is ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Single domain two IP subnets
    ... hardware or any of the complexities of "network hardward ... I never criticize anyone's typing as long as the words can ... Cisco ISL VLANS are history. ... Newer Cisco switches don't even support ISL ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)