Re: sniffing plaintext protocols

On 8/10/06, itsec.info@xxxxxxxxx <itsec.info@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How about pop3 and smtp? There is no secure alternative beside using pgp,
isn't it?

I personally don't use pop and I'm not a big fan of it. One thing you
could do (assuming you control the pop server or are friends with the
admin) is to use pop within an SSH tunnel.

For SMTP there is TLS although that requires both (all in the path)
mail servers to support it.

I guess PGP/GPG are your friends if you want to protect your mail
(some I do and some I don't). That raises the question of whether you
(generically) are trying to protect the session or the actual data
(whatever state it may be....transit or at rest).

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • Re: Change!
    ... Yes, but not the exclusive right to protect my friends, my family or me. ... plane where it is possible to control that plane, ... Everybody has the right to defend themselves. ...
    (rec.scuba)
  • Re: Thinking about the deaths of the medical volunteers and putting it into perspective.
    ... stopped and killed volunteers who had worked for many years to help them. ... population let friends be openly killed without retaliating then it's time ... It means that the Afghans can never be trusted to protect ... All outside forces should be pulled out and let the Afghans ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Address Book
    ... But to really stop spam, you may need a new email address and then protect this new address as if it ... etc. and uses your address in the TO or CC header along with 10 to 25 other names. ... You will never hear from any friends that get a new ISP and a new email address. ...
  • Re: Google
    ... "I believe that all entities, whether government or free-market, need to ... protect the sanctity of free speech. ... This is a basic civic responsibility. ... You never loved your friends, my friends, as I shall love my foes. ...
    (rec.scuba)