Re: nmap in vmware

One of the main things to remember is that you will see a significant
difference in network latency when using VMs vs. using hardware based
hosts. The negative impact will depend heavily on the hardware that the
host runs on and the rate(insane vs. paranoid) of scan. I have created
training courses on hacking exclusively in VM environments and I can
tell you that there is a noticeable difference in running a full host
scan in VM vs. host-based.(Especially with Nessus) The scans will work
fine, but they will most likely take a good percentage longer(upwards of
25-50%). I would suggest creating a baseline using the same target. Scan
the target using a VM based install of nmap and then scan the same
target with a hardware based host. Be sure to keep the variables to
minimum so you can get an accurate test. Use the "-v" option and what
ever other options you might normally use. That should give you a good
idea of what kind of delays might be experienced. Other than time, nmap
works great in a VM!

-Brad

offset wrote:
Looking for any negative experiences with running nmap under Fedora Core 5 under vmware

VMware host is Windows XP SP2 running VMware workstation (latest version) with Fedora Core 5

Thanks in advance,

-off

Concerned about Web Application Security?
Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's
Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise,
you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the
most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration
testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a
managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software
(Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can
help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php
And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your
results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • Re: nmap in vmware
    ... The negative impact will depend heavily on the hardware that the ... host runs on and the rateof scan. ... I would suggest creating a baseline using the same target. ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Running xPC executables on Window platform
    ... If a model contains hardware blocks then it can only run on an xPC target machine. ... suppose the models do not contain hardware blocks so that they can run on a Windows Host machine. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: more random device badness in 2.6.18 :(
    ... Because whether the provided data is "random enough" is a policy ... and policy does not belong in the kernel. ... that it is more useful to have a stock kernel have proper hardware ... entropy gathering then the host system they run on. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: VMware ESXi
    ... host ESXi it does not support 64-bit "guest" operating systems. ... systems.Kind og figured that seeing how my hardware did not support MS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: many calm everyday consensus terms vegetables out of Marwans british complex
    ... Don't even try to host a empire! ... rounding subject to a parcel past the motorway is too square for ... you can order the imagination much more enormously. ... opposite the hardware for the examination. ...
    (sci.crypt)