From: Ben Nell [mailto:enemy.cow@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: None
To: pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Laptop Password.

Part of a small audit i did in the company some laptops are found to
have a password(either PoP or just to change values in the BIOS).On a
desktop most of the time all you need is to take out the battery to
get rid of it, but for laptops (DELL in this case) i know that it is
in (if memory serve correct) an EPROM.In case of theft i know that the
PoP will protect form a casual thief but i know first hand that DELL
has a backdoor system , they send the serial number to the mother
company (always wanted to say that) they check if it stolen and if not
they send a password to be entered.
Now is there a possibility that someone has created a generator for
these password?Is it known ? I mean security throughout obscurity (if
you can call it like this in this case) is obviously something that i
wouldn't trust.

Any comment /Ideas?

Well I don't know about a backdoor password (I doubt that it exists) but I
can tell you that if you take the CMOS battery off of the unit and remove
the unit's battery, the CMOS information (including PoP) will eventually
dissipate. You may have to go days or longer without providing power to the
unit, but this is a sure fire way to reset the password.

BN

Concerned about Web Application Security?
Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's
Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to
rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic
has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security
penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option
to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise
software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed
service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php
And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your
results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

Concerned about Web Application Security?
Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's
Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise,
you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the
most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration
testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a
managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software
(Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can
help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php
And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your
results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • Re: Will the real hacker please stand up and raise their hand
    ... security concepts, but cannot run a sniffer to save their life, ... Subject: Hackers and Employment ... managed service or an enterprise software ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: CISSP-ISSMP
    ... Luckily the school also teaches Security++, and he's good with XP so he switches to that instead, and uses a cheat sheet to pass. ... it's normal to see a test king poking out from the study guide of a lot of students in certification classes. ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Walmart using WEP
    ... Subject: Walmart using WEP ... Concerned about Web Application Security? ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: privelege escalation with .bat files
    ... >Concerned about Web Application Security? ... As attacks through web applications continue to ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: What is being a pen tester really like?
    ... > Subject: RE: What is being a pen tester really like? ... >>> a career in security and pen testing. ... >> managed service or an enterprise software ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service ...
    (Pen-Test)