RE: books

Some of the pure pen-testing related books currently on the shelves. The OReilly book has a full chapter detailing a sample approach to an assessment:

Hacking Exposed Series (Foundstone)
Network Security Assessment (O'Reilly)
Assessing Network Security (Microsoft Press)
Penetration Testing & Network Defense (Cisco Press)
The Ethical Hack-Framework Business Value Pen Testing (Auerbach)
Pen-testers Open Source Toolkit (Syngress)

David.