Re: firewall auditing/testing

On 6/13/06, Rocky <pixscreenpoint@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm new to the list and been reading your email archives but
i have my own question how to test your firewall if its really secured.

Our IT director is really paranoid and he's not confident if our
current firewall security is really secured.

I already presented a NMAP/Nessus audit logs and i even
show to him the activity logs of our ACL that deny/drops
everything from the internet and permit only the basic applications.

Is there any other tools that can penetrate/test the firewall vulnerability?

Thanks,
rocky

The configuration of the firewall is probably the trickiest part.
Firewall Analyzer by Algorithmic Security is good for checking Pix and
FW-1 rules (disclaimer, I have a vested interest in Algolsec.)
Otherwise, probably the best thing to do is to schedule an audit by
someone who knows your particular firewall product's configuration
nuances. Firewall holes can be specific enough that blind testing
won't catch them, so it's important to audit the entire configuration
for reasonable levels of assurance.

Paul
--
fora.compuwar.net

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • [REVS] Bypassing Client Application Protection Techniques
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... protection programs. ... * Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... And we got actually nothing in the field of client application ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Recycler security issues on IIS server
    ... > latest upates to the server. ... > like to see the server put behind our firewall, ... other software, install all patches, IISlockdown, URLscan, use the correct ... the procedures you follow may vary depending on your security needs. ...
  • Re:RE : suggestions on a good firewall
    ... Subject: RE: suggestions on a good firewall ... CheckPoint does! ... with a url-filtering server. ... IT Technical Security Officer ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Why hasnt Symantec addressed nastier Messenger spoofs
    ... Norton / Symantec has been silent on whether Norton Internet Security ... DSL firewall will stop these kinds of pop-ups. ... major ISPs and broadband systems. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: network auditing
    ... You could have all the security holes under the sun and a firewall riddled wit holes, but if the hacker can get a valid user/pass combo they won't even bother to 'hack' away and maybe flag themselves up. ... Also, don't just look at what ports are open, look at what kinds of access you have from outside. ... I was just reading the thread on the "NASA security Audit" ...
    (Security-Basics)