Re: HTTPS proxy tool that resigns SSL certs

Phil Frederick wrote:
On 6/2/06, Huzeyfe Onal <huzeyfe.onal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1 Jun 2006 03:14:53 -0000, one2@xxxxxxxxxx <one2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Does anyone know of an HTTPS proxy tool that will let you resign SSL > certificates when doing a MITM attack?
>

> Thanks,
>
> One2
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Cain & Abel gives you this option. It recreate fake valid
>> certificate(
>> not signed by Original CA, it is self signed)
>
> Yeah, but this will still pop up a certificate warning.
>
> I am assuming you are talking about proxy for an *outbound*
> connection.
>
> This can be done without having the private key, but it gets a little
> complicated to setup. This is assuming you have full control of the
> client end network - DNS, routing, etc...
>
> Set up your own authortative record in the DNS at the client end of
> the connection. Have it redirect to your own site with a validly
> signed cert (try to make the name as close as possible so as not to
> make it easily noticeable to the end-user). Then make a connection
> from your server and pass the results back to the client (with or
> without any modification you want to do). Basically you are still
> acting as a proxy, but rather than passing SSL traffic directly, you
> become and end point to the user and a client point to the legitimate
> end point. That way all the information will traverse in plain-text
> across the computer, yet still be encrypted everywhere else.

It may be possible to insert the CA used by Cain & Abel into the victim's browser (assuming this is being done for legitimate purposes), which would make the provided certs "legitimate" as far as the browser can see.

Regards,

Rogan

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • Re: Preventing tunnels through HTTPS proxies
    ... The client is given a Certificate signed by the proxy that ... who then will present its certificate to the ... proxy (now becoming the client). ... Next step is a redirect to the main requested website, i prefer use HTTP ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: RPC Over HTTP
    ... I am having trouble with the actual proxy ... >What URL do you use to access your SBS from a remote ... >CEICW and create the certificate. ... >time you connect from a remote client, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Application Proxy/L7 Firewall Recommendation?
    ... > certificate presented by your decrypting proxy doesn't match the expected ... > certificate of the site I'm connecting to. ... The client must trust this CA ... The generated cert is then used to initiate a TLS session with the client ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: ADFS Proxy setup?
    ... you need a client certificate for the proxy. ... SelfSSL is used for doing SSL certs, ...
  • Re: Checkpoint smart defance as IPS
    ... *any* SSL/TLS communication without tampering anything on the client ... website a client visits on-the-fly. ... don't have private key for the certificate on that website. ...
    (Security-Basics)