Re: Some new SSH exploit script?

Morning Wood wrote:

I beg to differ with you -- running a standard service on a non-standard
port is a bid for security through obscurity.

This wasnt implied as a full stop measure, but security through obscurity
coupled with other protections can enhance the overal security posture.
( not to mention stopping 99.9% of unauthorized traffic )

I don't see what the net effect is. You'll still see unauthorized connection
attempts by ankle-biters on port 22. If your implementation is vulnerable,
running a service on a non-standard port offers little-to-no protection.

The number of TCP ports is very small, and the number of potential source
computers for a lazy and quiet scan to determine what service you're
running SSHD on is large. Are you going to change the service port on
a daily basis? Hourly?

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other product. Contact us at request@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

  • Re: Some new SSH exploit script?
    ... So for those small sites or sites only allowing ssh in for specific persons such as a few admin and perhaps a few application maintainers, and even a vendor or two, we find it easier to maintain the standard port and restrict access in the firewall and tcpd to specific addresses, and on occasion users via sshd_config settings as well. ... Log cruft is a pretty lame reason and rational for making a choice to implement a non-standard port setting, admins should have the skills to filter and parse logs in a manner such that the cruft does not interfere with their daily log monitoring chores, else they have likely a lot of other cruft that must as well be driving them to near madness as well not relating to sshd and the kiddie brute-forcing tool of the week. ... I believe in security in-depth, but this depth is so superficial, I ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • comp.security.unix and comp.security.misc frequently asked questions
    ... Can I turn off identd? ... to learn about computer security? ... Niles and Jyrki Havia for tripwire bug details as posted to the newsgroup. ... connecting from port 20546 on your machine to port 25 on 205.238.143.33. ...
    (comp.security.misc)