From: Terry Vernon [mailto:tvernon24@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:27 AM
To: 'johnny Mnemonic'; pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Programming skills for Pen Testers

Since programming skills aren't a "have it or die" requirement to do the job
it would seem it's all up to preference. I would say however, from
preference, that learning C opened up several pathways for me when I was
getting into pen-testing, which was a graduated path that came after my
script kiddy period. Also knowing C gives the ability to read almost every
other major coding language used in app development today with minimal trips
to Google.

I'd say if you know one, you can wing it in the other. So go with the one
you feel most comfortable with. I'd pick C for its historic value and the
fact that C++ is simply C with improvements.

-Terry