Re: Penetration test of 1 IP address

If asking only for a webserver-asessment, dan's posting is the best i
saw until now.

Clemens, Dan wrote:

Its not about using the right tools, its about asking the right
questions.

You could use a whole sleth of tools on some server, but if your using
the wrong tools for the wrong problem you won't get anything back and
you will in turn give your client the wrong impression of security when
you told them you haven't found anything.

Roelof Temmingh from Sensepost once told me about penetration-testing:
"To understand the process we need to have done it many times. If you
cannot write the process down on paper you probably don’t understand it
completely."
I like the this statement.

Roelof wrote it down and made nice diagrams about the steps:
Footprinting - Fingerprinting - Targeting - Vulnerability discovery -
Penetration Testing.

Having a look at his presentation on
http://www.sensepost.com/restricted/BH2005-lv.pdf is worth it (you'll
have to register, but its free). While I personally find that the
mentioned tool does it's work usually slower and less accurate than i
do, i think the the flowchart on page 22 represents almost every
detailled step of a pentest. (I even did a second version of this chart
for myself to cover plain webapplication testing.)

You might find, that its useful to do some foot- and fingerprinting to
be able to ask the right questions afterwards. The mentioned
presentation is a great primer.

thomas

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831