Re: Nessus - open or closed source?

From: S.A.B.R.O. Net Security (sabronet_at_indy.rr.com)
Date: 11/06/05

    Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:04:30 -0500
    To: Alex Bihlmaier <thalunil@kallisti.de>

    Nessus is in fact going closed and it has been covered by various sources.

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/101305-nessus.html
    http://news.com.com/Nessus+security+tool+closes+its+source/2100-7344_3-5890093.html?tag=nefd.hed

    Sincerely,
    William E. Hoover
    S.A.B.R.O. Net Security Admin
    www.sabronet.com
    sabronet@indy.rr.com
    admin@sabronet.com
    Alex Bihlmaier wrote:
    > Serg B. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> I don't recall where I read it, but... Something about Nessus going into
    >> proprietry market and that future releases of the scanner will not be
    >> available under GPL licence.
    >>
    >> Could someone confirm that or...?
    >

    > http://mail.nessus.org/pipermail/nessus-announce/2005-October/msg00000.html
    >
    > According to that:
    >
    > Version 3 won't be released under the GPL.
    > Former versions, of course, are still licensed under the GPL.
    >
    > Please note this upcoming project:
    > http://porz-wahn.berlios.de
    >

    > grtx,
    >  thal

    > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:
    > Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on
    > your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping
    > carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and
    > locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check
    > your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site
    > scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831

    Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:
    Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
    website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
    login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
    futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
    to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
    Download Trial at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831

    • Re: Hacking to Xp box
      ... > it is because you're the internal security expert AND hacker. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... > Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: DCOM Security.
      ... Subject: DCOM Security. ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Deep Freeze
      ... I have broken the security of older versions of Deep Freeze. ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Hacking to Xp box
      ... security, host security or data security heavily or are you referring to ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... > Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: 3rd party vuln assesment firms
      ... with large network organizations you may want to check out Olosec Security ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... > Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are ...
      (Pen-Test)