Re: Nessus - open or closed source?

From: Joachim Schipper (j.schipper_at_math.uu.nl)
Date: 11/04/05

    Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:31:46 +0100
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 06:44:17PM +1100, Serg B. wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I don't recall where I read it, but... Something about Nessus going into
    > proprietry market and that future releases of the scanner will not be
    > available under GPL licence.
    >
    > Could someone confirm that or...?
    >
    > Serg

    If I'm not mistaken, it's Full-Disclosure you're thinking of.

    See
    http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-October/037863.html
    and the thread following it.

    Though the information in there could be more complete... search around.

                    Joachim

    Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

    Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
    website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
    login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
    futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
    to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
    Download Trial at:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831

    • RE: Nessus 3.0 released
      ... > does not imply a scanner which is N times faster. ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: 3rd party vuln assesment firms
      ... > "We use the same tools hackers bring to bear against your systems. ... >> I'm looking for a firm to conduct annual 3rd party vulnerability ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping ... >> your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: [lists] What ever happened to the Netbios share scanner utilities?
      ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: 3rd party vuln assesment firms
      ... > "We use the same tools hackers bring to bear against your systems. ... >> I'm looking for a firm to conduct annual 3rd party vulnerability ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping ... >> your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Penetration test of 1 IP address
      ... Before I do anything very intrusive I personally go to the website ... Also remember once you have found a vulnerability, ... Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping ...
      (Pen-Test)