RE: PT Activity duration/time

From: Miller, Joseph A (joseph.miller_at_eds.com)
Date: 09/23/05

    Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:52:15 -0400
    To: "BSK" <bishan4u@yahoo.co.uk>, <pen-test@securityfocus.com>

    Perhaps this will start a rant but... Is there really a need to spent
    30% of your time breaking into a hole when you can show the exposure as
    well documented and exploitable? I understand there is a difference
    between full pen and vuln assessment. However, that's like black box
    determining the external IPs for an external. The value to any client
    for a "hacker" approach is giddy and fun, but if you were just handed
    the IPs you could just show the exposures and not waste your time OR
    YOUR CLIENT'S.

    I guess you have to gauge what you are trying to prove. If your client
    requires you to gain root, great. If you are doing a pen, you already
    have the understanding from the client. That's what you are there for in
    the first place. You are the expert and showing that there is an
    exposure for a remote buffer overflow on a given system is your job, and
    more so showing the customer how to fix it.

    Eventually it all comes down to time, like you said. What amount of time
    should you spend on what... I think everyone on this list will agree to
    the following:

    1) AUTOMATE as much reporting as possible (35%?????) ouch
    2) Define your scope to your client

    If they want full stealth black box, ensure they understand the time
    limitations... I assume you don't work for free.

    IP count is decent, however, the numbers in the open source testing doc
    show decent numbers that can help you determine scan times for large
    sets of IPs, etc.

    Of course, a FULL UDP port scan of a Solaris is a tad different than
    other systems... Plan accordingly.

    3) Experience... The more you do the more you can optimize, have a game
    plan when you show up. You should already be done with your information
    gathering before the start time.

    ... Did I miss anything?