Re: nmap results

From: Brian Smith-Sweeney (bsmithsweeney_at_nyu.edu)
Date: 09/12/05

    Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:55:29 -0400
    To: Mohamed Abdel Kader <makster12@hotmail.com>

    Mohamed Abdel Kader wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > I have recently been doing some scans and in some cases nmap returns many
    > ports to be open. the weird thing is that the ports are sequential.
    > i know many of you might be tempted to say its a honeypot but i know for a
    > fact its not. does anyone know why does this happen and how?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Need more information. What type of nmap scan are you running (syn,
    connect, UDP, etc.)? What OS are you running it from? Can you give
    examples of some of the targets? What type of gear is between you and
    the targets? Have you run a sniffer on at least the source side of the
    scan, and preferably the destination side as well (assuming you have
    permission to be pen-testing these networks)? If not, do that. If so,
    what are the results? Does what your seeing match up with what nmap is
    reporting?

    The $10k question you need to be asking yourself is "what causes nmap to
    report a port as open for the type of scan I'm running?" Then you can
    try to figure out why that condition may be occurring in this situation.
      Answers to the questions above should help you figure that out.

    Cheers,
    Brian

    Brian Smith-Sweeney
    Sr. Network Security Analyst
    ITS Technology Security Services, New York University
    bsmithsweeney@nyu.edu
    http://www.nyu.edu/its/security
    Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:
    Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
    website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
    login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
    futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
    to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
    Download Trial at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831

    • Re: Scanning Class A network
      ... About point 2, i recommend you Nmap... ... >network to identify hosts and ports exposed to the Internet. ... >Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Strange NMAP 4.0 Behavior
      ... Subject: Strange NMAP 4.0 Behavior ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: PacketStuffs nmap binary
      ... I need to upload nmap to a compromised NT box. ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: nmap results
      ... Were you running Nmap off a Windows box? ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Oracle 11i nmap scan results
      ... By default nmap does not scan the full port range. ... "The default is to scan all ports between a and 1024 as wall as any ... >Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
      (Pen-Test)