Re: Discovering network subnets

From: Craig Holmes (leusent_at_link-net.org)
Date: 08/21/05

    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:10:23 -0400

    On Saturday 20 August 2005 07:07, hannibal blog wrote:
    > I'm not sure the network is a C class one, but I'm surprised that such
    > an ip adress is an host IP.
    AFAIK, in the most strict and archaic IP address scheme (depending on the
    first octet) this could NOT be a usable host. This is because in a /24
    x.x.x.0 is considered a wire address and/or broadcast address for the subnet.

    In reality today, some administrators use the first and last IP address
    anyway. In rarely breaks any network functionality and it's use is actually
    specified in an RFC #(I don't know off the top of my head). Blame it on the
    (so-called) shortage of IPv4 addresses.

    So long story short, just because that IP is in use doesn't mean that subnet
    ISN'T a /24.

    Craig

    --
    KMail: 1.7.2
    Linux Weltall 2.6.11.3 #4 Sun Mar 27 11:04:56 EST 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(TM) XP

    • RE: All of the things you need to learn to be a pen-tester (Re: Pen t est basic needs)
      ... U will probably need to "morphine" your evil apps before you run them on an AV protected machine - download morphine from hxdef.org; might as well pick up a copy of hf's rootkit while your there... ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: What Hackers Know That You Don't ... WLAN by understanding these threats, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: AD password Auditing
      ... Subject: AD password Auditing ... > FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: ... Defend your WLAN against ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: AD password Auditing
      ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: What Hackers Know That You Don't ... WLAN by understanding these threats, available hacking tools and proven ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Handling Sysads resignation/termination
      ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: What Hackers Know That You Don't ... WLAN by understanding these threats, ... Switch to Netscape Internet Service. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • FW: AD password Auditing