Re: What are some good sources to keep me up top :) ?

From: AdamT (adwulf_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/07/05

    Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 06:20:09 +0100
    To: Pigeon <fredit@charter.net>

    I would suggest joining your local 2600 group, most are quite open and
    totally fine with white/black/grey hats in their group. There's a
    2600 magazine, you've probably visited their website at some point or
    other, espcially during the 'Free Kevin' days (http://www.2600.com/),
    which you can subscribe to, or you can meet with varying degress of
    success trying to find it in a local newsagent (I'm only aware of one
    stockist in the whole of London). If 'sleeping with the enemy', so to
    speak, is a problem for you, just think of it as an exercise in
    counter-espionage operations. Or something.

    I really want to suggest Phrack, but the last issue
    (http://www.phrack.org/phrack/63/p63-0x01_Introduction.txt) indicates
    it has something of an uncertain future - and you've probably either
    a) heard of it before
    or
    b) heard of it before and are now feeling almost insulted that I'd
    dare to presume that you might not have.
    Apologies in either case.

    Also, terrible chore though it is, do take a look at various
    IRC/USENET communities, which, once you've sifted through the noise,
    can contain the occasional gem, and a few pleasant souls who'll be
    happy to help you out with particular tricky issue which is becoming a
    puzzle inside an enigma wrapped in a firewall. Much like this list,
    in fact ;-)

    These sources are often over-looked, but worth taking a look at -
    especially the 2600 groups.

    One last thing I can think of is SC Magazine (http://scmagazine.com/)
    - I've been getting it delivered free for years - although much of it
    seems to target the people who close the sales and pull the
    purse-strings, rather than the people who open the holes and push the
    buttons.
    If you're pitching for some security work, you'll find a handfull of
    anecdotes and stats you can quote in your presentation, but there'll
    be little in the way of technical detail.
    It'll keep you up to date on new product offerings by way of reviews
    which seem to have been written by somebody who's dying to get in to
    the ones and zeroes of the whole thing, but knows that the editor will
    cut five paragraphs and inflict some severe physical punishment on
    him.
    For technical folk, there's usually at least one interesting article
    or interview with somebody. It's not solely a pen-test mag, however,
    as it also covers the broad range of 'security' including antivirus,
    firewalling, VPN, IDS, forensic investigation and various market
    research stats, usually showing us all how much money the average CIO
    thinks they'll be spending on security next quarter.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    AdamT
    "Maidenhead is *not* in Kent"

    • basic infos about wireless-security?
      ... setting up a wireless lan any more. ... I didnt have any clue about security. ... how secure a 256-bit WEP-key is and so on. ... In about three weeks I'll setup a WLAN in my office and I'd like it to ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • RE: Is there any way to measure IT Security??
      ... It's a good methodology useful for evaluting critical systems and data. ... security community and embraded by the federal government. ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: ... Defend your WLAN against man-in-the-Middle attacks and session hijacking, denial-of-service, rogue access points, identity thefts and MAC spoofing. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Application Assessment
      ... The Web Application Security Consortium also has some documentation ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: What Hackers Know That You Don't ... WLAN by understanding these threats, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: What are some good sources to keep me up top :) ?
      ... I think all the securityfocus mailing lists found here ... in the know for security vuln.. ... WLAN by understanding these threats, ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: What Hackers Know That You Don't ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Interlopers on the WLAN
      ... >>> Maybe that's what the owner and users of the WLAN want. ... >> Once you connect a network to the internet, your security problems ... >> often become everyone else's security problems. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)