Etc/shadow file and john

From: Sherwyn Williams (sherwill22_at_tmail.com)
Date: 07/27/05

    Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:56:58 -0400
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    I am doing an assesment for passwords on a network, after getting the
    password file I piped the output to a text file, tried to run that
    against John and can't get any luck with the program. Do anyone here
    uses any other password programs, and is there a better format than a
    text file to store the out of the etc/shadow when trying to get the
    passes.
    Sherwyn Williams
    Technical Consultant
    Sherwill22@tmail.com