Re: Fingerprinting Firewall

From: Demetrio Carrión (demetrio.carrion_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/06/05

    Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:19:38 -0300
    To: pen-test@lists.securityfocus.com

    Hi,

    I think of a particular case where you are able to sniff layer two
    traffic in the firewall segment and this firewall is an
    appliance-based one.

    Would it possible to discover the firewall vendor by correlating the
    firewall MAC layer address and the OUI, then someone could narrow the
    firewall to a specific vendor and possible versions?

    Just guessing.

    Cheers,

    Demetrio Carrion
    IT Security Consultant