Re: Oracle hash-list?

From: Pieter Danhieux (pdanhieux_at_easynet.be)
Date: 03/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:51:21 +0100
    To: "Jeroen" <jeroen@isvet.nl>

    Hi Jeroen,

    are you aware that the hashes stored in the oracle database not really
    use a salt (which is bad), but they do use the username as a
    differentiating factor. This means that the hash output depends on the
    password AND the username. Using pre-computed hashes will be difficult
    to do an offline attack, because you need a precomputed hash of all
    common passwords and all common usernames. That is why you only can
    find 'online' passwords crackers for oracle. As far as I am aware,
    there is no opensource offline password cracker, although there are
    some commercial tools which claim to have cracked the encryption used
    and can do offline cracking.

    my 2 cents ...

    --
    Pieter Danhieux, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH