Layer 2 Security And Penetration Testing

From: shiri yacov (shiri_yacov_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/03/05

    Date: 3 Jan 2005 22:02:33 -0000
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    Greetings to all PenTesters,
    I am scheduled to perform a pentest in a big company, in the near future.
    However, a little intelligence gathering has revealed that the company
    has enforced secure MAC on her switches (any port transmitting on other than its known MAC address is immediatltly blocked until helpdesk releases it.
    since my starting point is a "hot" port in the wall, and since I would not
    give up on the first stage, I am looking for a way to get connected to
    the net (using my allocated port) without activating any alarm when
    connecting to the net, and furthermore, without being blocked.

    My idea so far includes spoffing my MAC address, however, I still dont know to which MAC address should I switch my MAC to ? how do I know
    which MAC address is the legal one on a specific port ?

    Bruteforce is not an option - the port is frozen after 3 unsuccessful subsequent unauthorized MACs.

    Did anyone ever came accross a similar configuration ? Do you have an
    idea as to how can I bypass this.

    Regards,
    Shiri, Security Consultant

    • Re: Warning to the newcomer: CHILD MOLESTATION JOKES
      ... I don't know what kind of work you do where you have to use a Windows ... operating systems for a time (Mac, Amiga, Solaris, Linux) but all were ... nine-pin port on a MAC? ... pin serial port. ...
      (rec.skiing.alpine)
    • Re: Anyone Here Use Timbuktu? ...... Need Help
      ... try to connect a Mac to a PC. ... connecting as necessary to keep XP Pro up to date. ... the long 16 digit Timbuktu "activation key". ... Port name: Timbuktu: TCP Port 407 ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)
    • Re: Warning to the newcomer: CHILD MOLESTATION JOKES
      ... I don't know what kind of work you do where you have to use a Windows ... operating systems for a time (Mac, Amiga, Solaris, Linux) but all were ... nine-pin port on a MAC? ... pin serial port. ...
      (rec.skiing.alpine)
    • Re: Wireless Network in Public Places Options
      ... and implement a static bridging table. ... >> allows traffic to one other ethernet port, ... source MAC addresses. ... Packets with no destination addresses such as broadcasts and DHCP ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: Scan for "outsider" Pcs on network
      ... can use is the MAC address. ... switch ports by MAC address does not secure one's Ethernet network. ... switch port set up to only accept their mac address. ... OpenBSD Box (SOB) set up as a bridge.He drops it inline with the ...
      (Focus-IDS)