Any caveats for linux under VMware, pen testing?

shannon_at_areawidetech.com
Date: 09/03/04

    Date: 3 Sep 2004 17:59:47 -0000
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    I'm considering running Linux from my XP pro laptop under a VMWare (workstation edition) session. Anyone out there w/ experience using this setup that might have any tips / warnings / encouraging advice? This machine would be for pen testing, and is definitely beefy enough to handle the load, if this is a good solution. I'd be running Nessus, and doing probing w/ nmap.

    My other alternative is to repurpose a machine from our lab, but the physical setup and reloading would take far more time than the VMWare option, and would obviously be less flexible.

    So is anyone out there using this setup...? I heard rumors of problems related to direct hardware access (the NIC) for wardiving purposes...?

    Thanks!

    -Shannon Kelley

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes are
    guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction
    with one of our expert instructors. Check out our Advanced Hacking course,
    learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. Attend a course
    taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing
    experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an
    Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.

    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • Re: Rogue activity methodology (was: Tool to find hidden web proxyserver)
      ... Subject: Rogue activity methodology (was: Tool to find hidden web ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... Check out our Advanced Hacking course, ... learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Wireless Scanning
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: snmp
      ... You should give ADMsnmp a try. ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... Check out our Advanced Hacking course, ... learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Achilles proxy for linux
      ... I believe you should try Burp Proxy or Snark ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... Check out our Advanced Hacking course, ... learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Tool to find hidden web proxy server