Re: EC-Counsil

From: Al Smolkin (UnODir_at_hotpop.com)
Date: 08/25/04

    To: "pen test" <pen-test@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:50:33 -0400

    You do mean EC-Council, right?

    Sorry about the spelling joke.

    Now, here's what I think.

    The cert is a joke, mainly because the test administered was not so much about the pen testing, but rather about a general knowledge of the stuff. As a
    matter of fact, I just ran into a guy from VeriSign, who works on IDS side, who took the exam and passed without a hitch, and he never took a course.

    However, if you are serious about learning (that is, if you truly are fascinated by the world of security), then I wholeheartedly recommend Intense School's
    CEH course for one reason only,- the instructors.

    The two guys who taught the course when I went there were instrumental in designing the CEH cert, and carry a wealth of knowledge.
    Jon Nunes and Clement Dupuis.
    Clement runs a site called cccure.org

    I was blown away by the amount of knowledge pounded into me over the week (it was a bootcamp, really). And I was really disappointed that the exam
    didn't really reflect the course as a whole.

    My $0.02

    Al Smolkin
    CEH, CCNA

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:13:58 -0500, Chris Griffin wrote:

    >List,
    >
    >I was looking to see if anyone had any exposure to ec counsil's CEH course.
    >I have heard mixed views on the ec counsil, but nothing about their courses.
    >I dont really care about getting a certification, but I wouldnt mind
    >getting one also.
    >My main concern is, learning quality stuff that I can put to use in a
    >security career.
    >
    >As im sure everyone feels the same, I Dont want to drop my money on
    >something that looks good,
    >but really isnt going to help build knowledge.
    >
    >for a quick reference, here is a link to the exam/course I found
    >
    >http://www.mile2.com/certified_ethical_hacker_training_v3.html
    >
    >and http://www.eccouncil.org/CEH.htm
    >
    >Does anyone know if this is quality stuff, or is there something out
    >there better?
    >(A major factor to me looking at this was, I can find a class local so I
    >dont have to travel)
    >
    >Regards,
    >Chris

    >Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes are
    >guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction
    >with one of our expert instructors. Check out our Advanced Hacking course,
    >learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. Attend a course
    >taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing
    >experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an
    >Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    >
    >http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes are
    guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction
    with one of our expert instructors. Check out our Advanced Hacking course,
    learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. Attend a course
    taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing
    experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an
    Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.

    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    • RE: Minimum password requirements
      ... say it risks decreasing security rather than improving it. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: snmp
      ... I ran to security bizness coz I got sick of new IT comers, ... >> Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... >> with one of our expert instructors. ... Check out our Advanced Hacking ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Minimum password requirements
      ... I'd say it risks decreasing security rather than ... >> Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Network Traffic Monitor
      ... > AnalogX Packet Monitor. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... > assess the security of your organization. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: EC-Counsil (Book Review) Can we wrap this thread up?
      ... >>>Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... >>>with one of our expert instructors. ... >>>learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. ...
      (Pen-Test)