Re: TCP/IP skills

drbitbucket_at_comcast.net
Date: 07/08/04

    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:37:33 +0000

    -----Original Message-----
    From: captgoodnight@acsalaska.net [mailto:captgoodnight@acsalaska.net]

    > This kinda pushes me in the direction of thought that since linux guruship is
    > so deep into the kernel/coding realm, that it's simply natural for my penguin
    > friends to dive into the deep. Where perhaps since MS for the most part is so
    > "USER/GUI" minded, that it's kinda a challenge to find the motivation or
    > desire if you will, to really dig into what our fingertips can touch. I swear I'm

    I hope I'm not going to fan any flames here, but I'll share with you a conversation I had a few months ago with a CEO who has been working with computers since the late 60s. One of the reasons he call me was because my background was heavily UNIX and he said that in his observation, those who operate on the UNIX platforms have a better understand of what goes on under the hood than their Windows counterparts. Obviously, this is stereotypical and does not apply to everyone who works on Windows. But I understood his point. This doesn't negate someone's ability to learn that information, but working in a GUI environment makes you work harder and have to go out of your way to find it out. Whereas under UNIX (often noted as expert-friendly :), you have to dig in deep to find out how, sometimes, to do the most basic of things. You take your good with your bad, but in the end, I suppose it is the trial by fire that builds that greater understanding.

    > witness. To sum it up from my perspective, *nix is for the scientist, MS,APPLE > is for the USER. Please know, I do know a few MS gurus that know a hell of

    I'll beg to differ on Apple's OS X platform. Being a UNIX nut, I *prefer* to operate on OS X because I can balance my needs to interface with GUI apps with my needs to conduct my UNIX business. The funny thing is that when budget time came around at my last job, I was one of four technical UNIX guys getting Titaniums, most of which were our desktops. Of course, I'm not saying that OS X is the end all that is all, but it's moving in the right direction.

    Jon Repaci, GCIA, CISSP

    • Re: Totally fucking legal
      ... Where are the friends and family? ... Usually friends/family are reluctant to report "off the deep end" ... very serious and life threatening situation with a family member. ... a private program to get this person help. ...
      (rec.boats)
    • Re: Bloated, Stupid and Ugly
      ... This video might help: ... For myself I found it helpful to look deep within myself in order to ... Your circle of friends may need to change too. ... Surround yourself with ...
      (misc.fitness.weights)
    • Re: Bloated, Stupid and Ugly
      ... This video might help: ... For myself I found it helpful to look deep within myself in order to ... Your circle of friends may need to change too. ... Surround yourself with ...
      (misc.fitness.weights)
    • Re: (NBC) Bat out of hell 3
      ... Oh My God Michael have you gone off the deep end? ... My sister and her friends would giggle and sing along to this record in ...
      (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
    • Re: Musical Term Defined, Please
      ... people who could easily be my friends, ... I guess, you know, I didn't realize deep down ... He is the idea the Beatles thought of when they wrote "I'm a Loser."Happy Holidaze Joe Your bro Gary ...
      (rec.music.gdead)