Re: Wireless wep crackin on windows

From: Andrew A. Vladimirov (mlists_at_arhont.com)
Date: 05/21/04

    Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:49:51 +0100
    To: Aaron Drew <ripper@internode.on.net>, pen-test@securityfocus.com

    Aaron Drew wrote:
    > Airsnort on windows is limited. You need a card that can be put into monitor
    > mode under windows to capture the WEP packets.

    Snax has sorted it out by using a demo version driver coming from
    AiroPeek. I wonder what AiroPeek guys think about it...

    Linux drivers make this much easier.

    And allow to do many other things with injecting custom frames,
    encrypted traffic etc. Windows drivers are eons away from that, even
    though you can deauth undesirable hosts using AirMagnet running on
    Windows CE.

    > As for other tools, the package wep-tools contains a utility for brute
    > forcing ASCII based WEP keys.

    Mentioned it in my previous post, nice to see I am not alone :)

    > These keys are generated using a simple algorithm that is unfortunately
    > flawed. It essentially reduces the keylength of WEP from 64/128 down to
    > around 21 bits in length. Given just a couple of encrypted data packets, an
    > offline exhaustive brute-force attack can be done in about 10-15 seconds on
    > such keys.

    That flaw applies only to 40-bit keys and was fixed ages ago. In fact,
    some vendors did not have that flaw at all, e.g. 3Com. What would be
    more interesting is porting WEPAttack to Windows, but I don't know what
    would be the equivalents of ZLib and libCrypto for it. Don't know much
    about Windows anyway, no source - no fun.

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew A. Vladimirov
    CISSP #34081, CWNA, CCNP/CCDP, TIA Linux+

    • Re: Opera pain
      ... emacs, vi, are all about keys. ... tab menu instead. ... With Opera, i have to read the titles or small thumbnails. ... in my key macro app (on Windows it's AutoHotkey http://xahlee.org/mswin/autohotkey.html ...
      (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
    • Re: My experiences with a Dell D620 Laptop. Part 1.
      ... Specification of the Dell. ... highlights extra key functions on the keys accessible via the Fn key. ... Powerbook and MacBook screens. ... - There are the usual irritating Intel Core Duo and 'Windows Designed ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • RE: The string universal unique identifier (UUID) is invalid.
      ... when you install multiple brands of cards in Windows XP. ... The issue may be caused by a corrupt winsock or TCP/IP ... Delete corrupted registry keys and reinstall TCP/IP protocol. ...
    • Re: My experiences with a Dell D620 Laptop. Part 1.
      ... This post is to show Mac Users just what they are missing compared to a 9 month old PowerBook G4/15.4/1.6Mhz and a white MacBook. ... On a number of occasions I've opened up the machine only to find the battery is drained or find a very hot laptop in my bag. ... It has a rather tacky looking two-tone appearance around the keyboard and trackpad with the keys being a different colour to the inner silver 'ring'. ... Why couldn't these go underneath with the WIndows XP license label? ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: Domain Local group and Require strong. GPO Problem
      ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: ... >> controller that is not capable of encrypting secure channel traffic with ... >> that all such domain controllers must be running Windows 2000 or later ... >> Session keys used to establish secure channel communications between ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)