Re: VMWare and which linux distro?

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 01/09/04

    Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:00:48 -0500 (EST)
    To: Martin Mačok <martin.macok@underground.cz>

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Martin [iso-8859-2] Mačok wrote:

    > On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:15:49PM -0500, Maxime Rousseau wrote:
    >
    > > I think a good portion of you guys use a VMWare-Linux setup when doing
    > > pen-test (for many reasons). The question i would like to ask is, which
    > > linux distribution works best for this specific purpose ?
    >
    > I do not which is the best, but you should consult the list of
    > officially supported Linux host operating systems:
    >
    > http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_specs.html

    Which, with the recent posts on this seems to indicate it all depends upon
    how well one knows their particular favorite linux dist, as some posters
    have indicated distros that are not on the upported list working fine and
    some on the supported list not working for them.

    So, for production oriented systems, folks will perhaps do best in
    sticking to a dist they know well and may wish to work offline, or
    non-production with something new, till they get comfortable with it.

    Pretty much the standard for how to choose the OS for a firewall or
    specific server need, use what one knows.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com