RE: Open tcp port 2005 on cisco router

From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer_at_gci.com)
Date: 01/06/04

    To: deniz@edizayn.com.tr, pen-test@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:16:24 -0900

    deniz@edizayn.com.tr writes:
    > While I am scanning one of our customer's border
    > router, I have seen that TCP port 2005 is open and reachable
    > from Internet. As far as, I know this port is being used for
    > async. connection to other devices in this router. Is
    > that normal to see this port as open from Internet?

    You're right about it being an async connection to some
    other device external to the router.

    You don't mention what type of router it is, but if it's anything
    like a Cisco 2511, which is a 16-port async box, each port
    above 2000 is 'tied' to a serial port for reverse telnet capabilities.

    The VTY configuration should have ACL's configured to disallow
    unwanted traffic, but it seems that you've found that they
    haven't blocked you...

    • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
      ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... Internet to initiate an IP conversation with your computer. ... This situation is different than if you ran your own NAT connection sharing ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Publish Web Server behind SBS 2003 Standard
      ... I ended up plugging another router into the WAN. ... How to configure Internet access in Windows Small BusinessServer2003http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825763/en-us ... network interface on right (By default the interface name should be ... input 80 in Outgoing port box. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: CEICW failure
      ... The port forward thing I had tried just out of desperation. ... The router is 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 ... > port 80 from the Internet to your Server. ... >> SBS box has the 2 NICs. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: how do you setup a wireless connection without using DNS in the NIC?
      ... I CURRENTLY HAVE NODES CONNECTED TO A SWITHC - NETOPIA ROUTER CONNECTED TO ... THE SWITCH AND FROM THE WAN PORT ADTRAN T1 ROUTER. ... PUBLIC CHANGE THEIR NIC TO RECOGONIZE THE DNS IP. ... building) and have them access the Internet via their lap top. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
    • Re: Sending big files to a friend.
      ... which makes sense in terms of the controls that my router supplies. ... connect to my Mac in that fashion from the Internet via my ADSL ... A game or application is made up of one or more TCP/UDP port ranges. ... Because the internet IP that your prvider assigns to you is dynamic. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)