RE: How much do you disclose to customers?

From: Whiteside, Larry [contractor] (BAE14_at_SPHQ.SSP.NAVY.MIL)
Date: 12/19/03

    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:09:57 -0500
    To: "wirepair" <wirepair@roguemail.net>, <pen-test@securityfocus.com>

    I think you should first perform the scan and see if they have procedures in place to detect and react to your attempts. Once they noticed it and blocked it then you could inform them of the other pertinent details (i.e. time scanning to be performed, IPs used [if different from initial test], etc...).

    A lot of places forget that the procedures to react to an intrusion attempt are a key element to the entire process. Of course all of this should be spelled out in your contract and explained in detail up front to protect you and the client both.

    my 2 cents