Re: john the ripper

From: Mike (myname17_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 12/08/03

    To: Giacomo <badgiaco@supereva.it>, pen-test@securityfocus.com
    Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:45:11 +0000

    I recently did a little research on this, and if the password was well chosen
    you will not find the password.

    An 8 character password, based on a 72 character set (26 lower case letters,
    26 uppercase letters, 10 digits, and 10 special characters) results in 72^8
    or 7.2x10^14 possible passwords. My reference PC was only able to crack at
    1500c/s. Doing the math reveals that 150,000 years would be required to
    crack all combinations, or 75,000 years on average. For a 12 character
    password the result was 2,000,000,000,000 years.

    If my math is wrong, please break it to me gently.

    Mike