Re: john the ripper

From: Jon Hart (warchild_at_spoofed.org)
Date: 12/03/03

    Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:13:07 -0500
    To: fbr <fbr@14x.net>

    On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:38:31AM -0600, fbr wrote:
    > The following benchmarks are all "FreeBSD MD5 [32/32]" tests done with john.
    >
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    > 5903 c/s real, 5903 c/s virtual
    >
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    > 4094 c/s real, 4355 c/s virtual
    >
    > Pentium III (Coppermine)
    > 2455 c/s real, 2455 c/s virtual
    >
    > Can anyone provide any Athlon benchmarks?
    >
    > -Forrest

    Benchmarking: FreeBSD MD5 [32/32]... DONE
    Raw: 4205 c/s real, 4455 c/s virtual

    Thats on an Athlon XP 1800+, which is running at ~1500MHz.

    When I'm cracking passwords that I suspect of being abnormally hard to
    crack, I do my best to tweak my John run(s) accordingly. i.e., on
    solaris I'll make the max password length 8 and the minimum something
    like, oh, 6 or whatever local restrictions might be in place. I've also
    had good results running 3 incremental cracks at once (on the same
    machine if 4 processors are available, otherwise on 3 different
    machines), using the "All", "Alpha" and "Digits" incremental cracks.

    17 days is quite a long time, but keep going.

    -jon