john the ripper

From: Giacomo (badgiaco_at_supereva.it)
Date: 12/02/03

    Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:52:18 +0100
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    Hi all

    I am tryning to crack cisco md5 password.
    Currently I am using a Athlon XP2500barton at 2300mhz, after 17days john
    continue to crack at 3800c/s (it started at 4500c/s).
    I am asking myself and all of you what is the best system (hardware) to
    crack md5 password.
    I am thinking that the best way Is the powerfull (mhz) i386 in commerce.
    I've tried OpenMosix with 4 p500 nodes with john and cisilia, but
    without lucky results.
    The sun 280 (dual 64bits cpu at 900mhz) go to a poor 900c/s

    which is you reference system to use john on md5 password ?

    Giacomo