Wireless Pent-Test

From: Cesar Diaz (cesadiz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/05/03

    Date: 5 Oct 2003 01:16:08 -0000
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    Remote users in my company have been begging for permission to use wireless NICs in their laptops for awhile now. When they are not on the road, most of them work from home and would like to be able to use their laptops anywhere in their house.

    Due to our industry and business requierements, we have to document every process and method used to access our data and prove that we've tested the security of our data.In order to let the users go wireless I have to show that I've tested the security on a wireless network.

      Our idea is to let the users buy wireless routers to connect to their cable/dsl routers and then wireless PCMCIA or USB cards on the laptop. We would implement 128 bit WEP security to prevent unauthorized access. I realize that WEP does not provide for stringent security, but we feel that by forcing users to change their WEP key regularly we can meet our requierements.

    My question is, how do I test WEP and document wether or not it's secure? Any way to sniff for WEP keys, or to brute force attack a WEP session? If there is, how hard is it to set up? How much of a risk of a wireless connection with WEP enabled to be comprimised other than a dedicated, brute force attack?

    Any information is greatly appreciated.

    Tired of constantly searching the web for the latest exploits?
    Tired of using 300 different tools to do one job?
    Get CORE IMPACT and get some rest.

    • Re: cant connect to a new computer
      ... You may not have permission to use this network ... ... I just got a IBM Lenovo Tower unit running XP Pro sp2, ... "GOBBLERS" On the laptops I can see the other laptop and the Lenovo ...
    • [SLE] Switching off the wireless NIC on a laptop (was: [SLE] Auto switching network adaptor)
      ... In the USA all laptops with embedded wireless nics have to have ... There no such switch on my IBM Thinkpad ...
    • Re: DHCP Issue
      ... be worth trying the items I noted for AW. ... I see a lot of laptops with wired and wireless NICs without this kind of ... > articles about the autoconfiguration to turn it off on one network card if ... all the laptops have 1 lan and 1 wireless. ...
    • Re: Copyright Question
      ... asked permission!!!!] ... On their laptops Shows and Slides ...
    • Re: Replacing touchpad
      ... touchpad works ok for awhile and then goes bad again. ... Laptops are extemely complex to replace parts due to the fact that ...