Re: mapping vulnerabilities into high medium low risk

From: George W. Capehart (gwc_at_capehassoc.com)
Date: 09/19/03

    To: thomasng@bigfella.is-a-geek.net, pen-test@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:53:56 -0400

    On Wednesday 17 September 2003 10:22 pm, thomasng@bigfella.is-a-geek.net
    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Thanks for all your help.
    > From the responses, I guess there alot of overlap of pen-test and
    > risk assessment than I thought. I agree that alot of times, you have
    > to consider the cost of the compromised information to the customer.
    > However, from a technical point of view of a PT, the risk is the same
    > of a root exploit present in a system without production data compare
    > to a system with production data.

    Greetings,

    Sorry I got into this thread late. There are a couple of other sources
    that might be very helpful. NIST SP 800-12 has, IMHO, the best
    introduction to risk assessment and assessment strategies I've seen
    (Chapter 7, Computer Security Risk Management). Another great source
    for when there's more time to read and digest is Thomas Peltier's
    _Information_Security_Risk_Analysis_ ISBN 0-8493-0880-1. Finally,
    Section 10 of ISO/IEC TR 13335-2 (Corporate Risk Analysis Strategy
    Options) is also good. 800-12 and 13335 are quicker reading. I'd
    recommend them first . . . I think they'd help you work through your
    decision-making process with your team.

    My $0.02.

    Regards,

    George Capehart

    --
    George W. Capehart
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine . . ."