mysql as a file upload/download vector

From: Jon Hart (warchild_at_spoofed.org)
Date: 09/16/03

    Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:40:48 -0400
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    Howdy,

    I was up against a situation earlier today where I wanted to show that a
    mysql server with the 'test' database still available can be used as a
    warez server and can be used as a file upload/download vector for
    (potentially) heavily fortified hosts.

    I couldn't think of anything mysql-wise that would conveniently let me
    do this, nor could I find any tools that would let me do this. I
    figured that, since I already knew exactly how I could implement this,
    it'd probably be faster if I just wrote my own instead of scouring the
    web looking for some code to do this.

    Just to clarify, when I say "used as a warez server" or "file
    upload/download vector", I mean storing the file data in a database.
    And no, not just in one huge field either. I mean taking a file
    locally, chunking it up and storing it your database, and then later
    retrieving it.

    So, I wrote this:

            http://spoofed.org/files/mtp

    My question is, how badly did I re-reinvent the wheel?

    tia,

    -jon

    FREE Trial!
    New for security consultants and in-house pros: FOUNDSTONE PROFESSIONAL
    and PROFESSIONAL TL software. Fast, reliable vulnerability assessment
    technology powered by the award-winning FoundScan engine. Try it free for 21 days at: http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Foundstone_pen-test_030825

    • Create SharePoint Portal failed.
      ... One mentioned ensuring that SQL Server uses a case ... 13:55:40 Service database server is 'USDC-JOHRIV'. ... Update dbo.propertylist set DisplayName = N'Last name' ...
    • Re: How to store picture (*.jpg, *.bmp, *.gif) into sql database ?
      ... I'm for storing files on the file system. ... My perspective is from the simple .NET server and DB server ... If you store files in your database, the files must be streamed through ... Tampa .NET Koder wrote: ...
    • Re: Image Question
      ... the database though... ... and "uploading" it to the server. ... > guy was storing 20,000 video files? ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
    • Re: ADO Connection Timeout
      ... to the central server, but you are willing to live with periods where it ... i.e. a local database or even a text file. ... to function until the connection can be restored to the server. ...
      (microsoft.public.data.ado)
    • Web Developers - Happy Hearts And HDTV! - Lockergnome
      ... Certificate on your MSIIS Web server. ... getting data from a database is only half the problem. ... Zend recently started a series about building rock solid code in PHP. ... which provides bulk database conversion. ...
      (freebsd-questions)