RE: "Free" pen-test

From: J.A. Terranson (measl_at_mfn.org)
Date: 06/20/03

    Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:35:10 -0500 (CDT)
    To: pen_test_list@petesmithcomputers.com

    What you did was illegal, unethical, and *way* beyond acceptable
    practice. You're lucky he doesn't throw your a$$ in jail.

    Your preliminary "look" was done without any type of consent, and that makes
    it an intrusion under the laws of most countries and states. You then went
    to try and sell "services" bafter you had "scared him" with your
    results: this is extortion in most countries and states.

    In short: you are *exactly* the kind of sleazy half-baked and fully dishonest
    operations that has put the security industry in the position it is in now -
    having to try and explain to a [rightfully] wary public why we are not a
    problem of the same magnitude as the "hacker" we claim to want to protect
    against.

    Further, there is an inherent conflict of interest between the pen-tester and
    the provider of services which are suggested by the testing: to truly stay on
    the moral high ground you should never try to mix the two (asbestos underwear
    in place for all you "ethical" testers who then sell the repair "services").

    Call us back when you find a clue. Even a *small* clue.

    --
    J.A. Terranson
    sysadmin@mfn.org

    • RE: "Free" pen-test
      ... J.A. Terranson wrote: ... > acceptable practice. ... are you really saying that security ... >> Latest attack techniques. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Automated Pen-testing Tool?
      ... Latest attack techniques. ... You're a pen tester, but is google.com still your R&D team? ... The company, Core Security, offers an Automated Pen-Testing Tool called Core ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • [TOOL] IISBanner, IIS Banner Changer
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Latest attack techniques. ... Set oHTTP = WScript.CreateObject ...
      (Securiteam)
    • Re: Cross Site Tracing examples?
      ... > Latest attack techniques. ... > You're a pen tester, but is google.com still your R&D team? ... > world-class research group. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: "Free" pen-test
      ... I was tipped that a local firm had security issues. ... Latest attack techniques. ...
      (Pen-Test)