Penetration Testing or Vulnerability Scanning?

From: Rizwan Ali Khan (rizwanalikhan74@yahoo.com)
Date: 03/07/03

    Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:07:35 -0800 (PST)
    From: Rizwan Ali Khan <rizwanalikhan74@yahoo.com>
    To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

    When usually we talk about penetration testing tools,
    people mosly
    refer to Vulnerability Scanners like iss, typhon,
    nessus, cybercop etc.

    However penetration testing tools are those who
    penetrate as well, the
    above scanners do not do that.

    One needs to have a working version of SSH exploit for

    the SSH
    vulnerability detected by the vulnerability scanner,
    so is it necessary for
    penetration tester to have access to the latest of
    underground exploit? or
    could all this be done in an ethical manner too?

    please guide I am so confused between two of these
    methodologies.

    http://taxes.yahoo.com/

    Are your vulnerability scans producing just another report?
    Manage the entire remediation process with StillSecure VAM's
    Vulnerability Repair Workflow.
    Download a free 15-day trial:
    http://www2.stillsecure.com/download/sf_vuln_list.html