nmap Host Discovery Whitepaper

From: Mark Wolfgang (moonpie@moonpie.org)
Date: 11/11/02

From: "Mark Wolfgang" <moonpie@moonpie.org>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:15:08 -0000

Greetings! I've written a whitepaper that explores some methods for host
discovery, paying the most attention to discovering hosts behind a firewall
with an explicit policy. It probably won't be terribly valueable to the
seasoned pen tester, but I think it lays out the basics and should give you
some ideas. I also wrote a perl script that implements the ideas presented.

You can find the whitepaper at http://moonpie.org/writings/discovery.pdf and
the perl script at http://moonpie.org/tools/discover.tgz

I'm interested in hearing your comments :)

Best Regards,

- Mark

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see: