RE: blind demodulation - sound card - lucent winmodem - new topics

From: Jay Stapleton (jstapleton@o2tech.ca)
Date: 07/05/02

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:37:38 -0500
From: "Jay Stapleton" <jstapleton@o2tech.ca>
To: "CJ Oster" <cjo@dothe12.com>, <pen-test@securityfocus.com>

With a cable "modem", which is actually a TNC, it's just a matter of
putting the device into promiscuous mode, much as you would in a LAN
setting. I've heard that many cable companies have equipment to test
for this, and at least here, it's expressly forbidden in the EULA
(Because I'm sure we all obey those completely;)

And yes, to record the data stream from a line, you'd have to have
access to the house (or apartment phone panel), or the telco equipment
at some point.
Or at least, you'd have to have a device planted here. I imagine a
subnotebook with a wireless Ethernet card hidden in someone's
basement...
Ponderable, shurley (;