Re: Training Lab Question

From: Jacques Thomas (jacktom@noos.fr)
Date: 05/31/02

Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 00:11:10 +0200
From: Jacques Thomas <jacktom@noos.fr>
To: Greg <greg@hoobie.net>

User Mode Linux (ULM) might be a good alternative to VMWare, which I
appreciate a lot also. As with VMWare, you can reinstall the whole
(virtual) system by simply copying a file.

I have not used it much but I read Alan Cox on a mailing list stating
that he used it to insulate certain servers.

Regards,

        Jacques

PS: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

Greg wrote:

> My recommendation would be to give each student a VMWare workstation system
> to play with. That way once the course is over or the student trashes their
> system (whichever happens sooner) you can simply replace their system with
> your master VMWare workstation image.
>
> This means that you can give the students r00t (because it's easier than
> trying to setuid lot's of software) and not worry too much about what they
> do to the systems.
>
> Consider using VMWare to host your target systems as well for much the same
> reasons, this also saves you using lots of physical boxes too.
>
> regards
>
> Greg
>
> BTW Despite the fact that nearly half of my posts to this list seem to
> pertain to VMWare (I don't know why) : I am not selling/connected to or
> otherwise related to VMWare. That said, VMWare does rock.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Using Airsnort through vmware on Red Hat 7.1
    ... Using Airsnort through vmware on Red Hat 7.1 ... > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: resources for the pen-test team?
    ... VMware makes all the difference in the world. ... > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Using Airsnort through vmware on Red Hat 7.1
    ... Using Airsnort through vmware on Red Hat 7.1 ... > Airsnort needs the following packages before compiling. ... > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Training Lab Question
    ... My recommendation would be to give each student a VMWare workstation system ... > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Using ARP to map a network
    ... On a HUB there would be absolutely no reason to send out ARP replies, ... >> This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ... > automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see: ...
    (Pen-Test)