Re: Arp spoofing & dsniff

From: Sumit Dhar (
Date: 05/11/02

Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 09:37:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sumit Dhar <>
To: "Arturo \"Buanzo\" Busleiman" <>

> This is something I'd like to know: Is [Spoofing] the correct term for
> this ARP modification technique? Would "ARP Poisoning" be a better or
> correct one than 'spoofing'?.

Spoofing according to Merriam Webster means "to decieve".

Technically arp-spoofing would be forging packets with the hardware
address of the host you are pretending to be.

Arp Poisoning would involve you making the victim host believing that IP

That I think should highlight the difference, but I do believe people
use the terms interchangably.

Hope that clears the stuff a bit!

Sumit Dhar [ ]
Manager [Research and Product Development]

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see: