Nessus 1.2.0 released

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@nessus.org)
Date: 04/18/02

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:04:00 +0200
From: Renaud Deraison <deraison@nessus.org>
To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

The Nessus Team is pleased to announce the availability of Nessus 1.2.0

Nessus is a remote security scanner which has been developped since 1998.
It is free, open-sourced (GPLed) and updated very regularly (and currently
performs over 900 security checks)

What is new in Nessus 1.2, in comparison of Nessus 1.0 ?

A lot of changes took place during the two years Nessus 1.2 has been worked
on. Here's a non-exhaustive list :

- Security checks are run in parallel ;
- Full SSL support ;
- "safe checks" option (makes nessusd rely on a banner rather than take
  the risk to disable the remote service) ;
- "optimisations" option (make nessusd run "focused" tests (ie: IIS-specific
  tests on IIS, and so on...)
- Better CGI auditing ;
- IDS evasion options ;
- KB saving support (can be used for off-line security audits) ;
- Session saving support ;
- Differential scans ;
- New reports file formats ;
- Tuned security checks (for better performance) ;
- More configurable ;
- Improved SMB support (Nessus can log into a domain, and extracts more
  information from the tested hosts).
- Scales __much__ better ;
- Kazillions of bugs fixed ;
- And more !

Note that Nessus 1.2.x is the result of two years of work and
improvements, so not everything can be listed. Have a look at the changelogs
for full details (in nessus-core/CHANGES)

Where to get it
---------------

Nessus is available at :

                http://www.nessus.org/

and

                ftp://ftp.nessus.org/pub/nessus/nessus-1.2.0/

Portability
-----------

Nessus 1.2.0 can be compiled on a wide range of Unixes, including :

        - Solaris
        - OpenBSD
        - FreeBSD
        - NetBSD
        - Red Hat Linux (and probably other distros)
        - Darwin / MacOS X
        - ...

A Win32 client (NessusWX) is available for the Win32 platform
(at http://nessuswx.nessus.org)

More toys soon
--------------

A web interface allowing you to mount your own ASP business will be released
soon - keep an eye on our website for details about this :)

Bugs ? What bugs ??
-------------------

If you find bugs or have enhancement requests, please send them to me
(deraison@nessus.org)

Thanks
------

I'd like to thank everyone who tested and improved Nessus when it was labelled
as being unstable.

I would like to thank in particular Michel Arboi (arboi@noos.fr) and
Michael Scheidell (scheidell@fdma.com) who both did an insanely big
amount of work for Nessus 1.2

Thanks,

                                -- Renaud

--
Renaud Deraison
The Nessus Project

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see: https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Political Challenges Using Nessus
    ... Subject: Political Challenges Using Nessus ... > processes within your organization is to have a WRITTEN corporate security ... > necessary to ascertain and promote your corporate security requirements. ... I am impatient...I hate politics ..I know I can pull this ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: The Ultimate Toolkit...
    ... The Windows port of Nessus is called NEWT and is sold by Tenable ... Security, a company that was at least partially started by the original ... If you are not the intended recipient any ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Nessus - open or closed source?
    ... While I cannot state who I work for due to security reasons, ... whether it be nessus or others. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Political Challenges Using Nessus
    ... security and calls himself the Security Manager. ... Subject: Political Challenges Using Nessus ... My next challenge is the Manager of the Server and Network Group. ... I am impatient...I hate politics ..I know I can pull this off. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: The Ultimate Toolkit...
    ... Nessus, Renaud Deraison. ... There's also a Windows port of dig knocking around ... Penetration Tester | Security Consultant MIS Corporate Defence Solutions, ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    (Pen-Test)