RE: Modem detection in a LAN

From: Jacek Lipkowski (sq5bpf@acid.ch.pw.edu.pl)
Date: 03/11/02

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 07:30:05 +0100 (CET)
From: Jacek Lipkowski <sq5bpf@acid.ch.pw.edu.pl>
To: pen-test@securityfocus.com

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Steve wrote:

> If you are internal to the LAN -- for the Windows boxes why not look for
> the specific drivers -- you can do this with very easy with a perl
> script -- of course you are going to need an account that has admin
> across the network. If you don't need to identify the exact brand of

*if* you have the account :) if you work at a university or any other
network without a strict security policy.

> All of this of course is kind of unnecessary as War Dialing is going to
> be more reliable (read: less false positives) for you, I have seen boxes
> with the associated drivers installed and no modem actually installed.

i don't know about windows dialups, but under unix you may have to call
the box two times in a short period, as the first ring will only activate
the dialup (see the mgetty(8) -R flag). this feature is used alot on
"illegal" modems, so after all war dialing is not that reliable. there
might be a similar feature in windows (although i'm not aware of it).

jacek

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

Relevant Pages

  • [NT] Etherleak Information Leak in Windows Server 2003 Drivers
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Several NIC device drivers that ship with Windows Server 2003 have been ... paper and subsequent discussion was concerned with ICMP message padding. ... When the @Stake paper was released, Microsoft stated that tests would be ...
    (Securiteam)
  • RE: SQL
    ... Subject: SQL ... >> This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ... >This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Insurance
    ... property--data beign deemed "intangible" for the purposes of insurance. ... for physical security testing there are often 3rd parties ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Pen-Testing Lotus Notes/Domino
    ... Subject: Pen-Testing Lotus Notes/Domino ... of document security. ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • R: Pen-Testing help (Compaq Insight & htsearch)
    ... This web server happens to be in front of their ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)