Sniffers, scanners and XP raw packet drivers

From: Simon (simon@derision.net)
Date: 12/13/01

From: "Simon" <simon@derision.net>
To: "PenTest" <pen-test@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:51:22 -0000

Folks,

Anyone had any success getting Ethereal and other tools to work under
Windows XP Pro?
even if Winpcap installed:

  Ethereal won't find an interface,
  ISS can't find raw packet drivers for some of its scans are disabled
  Nmapnt can't find any suitable interfaces
  Foundstone fport won't resolve ports to process owners (although fscan
and superscan run fine)
  .... (the list goes on)

All these worked on my laptop nicely under Windows 2000? Does anyone
have a solution to this? I guess what I need is a raw packet capture
driver that works under winXP... Any ideas?

Aaarrrgggh,

Simon, CISSP

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SMBRelay issues
    ... sniffing in switched Windows networks. ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: SMBRelay issues
    ... Check out phenoelit's ARP 0c Connection Interceptor ... I've not used this tool in a windows ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Rwwwshel client for Windows
    ... Subject: Rwwwshel client for Windows ... Does anyone knows about the ported version of Rwwwshell.pl to Windows? ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • remote privilege escalation
    ... remotely on a windows 2000 Server SP1 'out of the box' installation. ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ... For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #191
    ... SecurityFocus ... MiniShare Server Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability ... Relevant URL: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10409 ... Platforms: Windows 95/98, Windows NT ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)