Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

--On Monday, October 16, 2006 10:04:30 -0700 benfell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Wrong. Completely wrong. Any UNIX-like box with qmail can be configured
to send mail out. My laptop, for example. But my domains only receive
mail at the servers designated as MX hosts in DNS.

Your idea that an outbound mail host should be listed in DNS indicates a
complete misunderstanding of the purpose of an MX record. These records
indicate to other MTAs where they should deliver mail *to*, not where they
should accept mail from.

{{{sigh}}} It sure would be nice if you guys would READ before jumping all over this. Of course the MX record indicates where you send mail *to*. But historically thoses hosts were also the ones that accepted mail. And in fact, *many* domains still handle it that way. Yes, some do not, including ours, but that's beside the point.

Furthermore, policyd-*****WEIGHT***** (get it?????) assigns *weights* to various "flaws" (much like spamassassin does to content) and it takes a lot more than one flaw to reject the mail.

If you think that's wrong now, take it up with the author of policyd-weight, not me. And as I have stated **repeatedly**, if you don't believe me, send a test message to geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and see if it gets through. To my knowledge, not one person who has done that has had their mail rejected.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

  • Re: Strange DNS problem
    ... I took my laptop to my ... ISPs DNS servers are working correctly. ... The only other hosts file is in the i386 folder. ...
  • Re: Beating the spam filter ...
    ... A name that is not a machine's internal identity is more easily moved to refer to another machine, and that capability seems to be driving a lot of the interesting novelty in IT these days. ... You use names to refer to services where as I use names to refer to hosts and then use CNAMEs to refer service names to hosts. ... I think using the RFC-I lists for spam control is properly career-limiting for a mail admin, but people do use them, and the "bogus MX" list is probably the least problematic. ... That name carries a complex meaning to me and about a dozen other people, and it is in DNS from the viewpoint of tens of thousands of other machines. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Cant see out to .co.uk from inside my .local domain (forward l
    ... and you do need to find out where the problem is in your DNS. ... just add another entry in your hosts file referencing ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... us to resolve the issue with DNS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems
    ... Changed nsswitch.conf for hosts values. ... hosts: nis dns files ... Sep 2 09:59:57 spock ypbind: bound to NIS server odin. ... Can't get map list for domain. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems
    ... Changed nsswitch.conf for hosts values. ... hosts: nis dns files ... Sep 2 09:59:57 spock ypbind: bound to NIS server odin. ... Can't get map list for domain. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)