Re: Massive SPAM Increase

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 01:01 -0400, jim barchuk wrote:
I think it's business as usual, on new millenium designer steroids. :)

I don't glance at headers any more, but I have a magic widget on several
servers I run doing something like this:

http://www.graemef.net/rejections.png

That specific server only handles email for three domains, so it isn't a
huge sample (and it does use SpamHaus' SBL-XBL which others may find
poisonous) but I have also seen a big increase in the last four weeks.
OK, < 1 message/sec to > 1 message/sec ain't that much, but still - in
percentage terms you can see it from the (static) graph.

Anything to do with universities starting up, maybe? I work for one so
I'm only equating workload to spam load here, but it's still a
possibility.

Graeme

Attend the Black Hat Briefings & Training USA, July 29-August 3 in Las Vegas.
World renowned security experts reveal tomorrow's threats today. Free of
vendor pitches, the Briefings are designed to be pragmatic regardless of your
security environment. Featuring 36 hands-on training courses and 10 conference
tracks, networking opportunities with over 2,500 delegates from 40+ nations.

http://www.blackhat.com

  • Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}
    ... misconifigured servers, MTAs that aren't registered in the domains' DNS as ... a "legal" MX, MTAs that don't reverse properly, etc., etc. ... your ISP lists you as a non-MTA with other organizations. ... World renowned security experts reveal tomorrow's threats today. ...
    (Incidents)
  • RE: strange http get requests in apache access logs
    ... Some mis-configured Apache servers will act as an open proxy; that appears to be what this request is. ... Attend the Black Hat Briefings & Training USA, July 29-August 3 in Las Vegas. ... World renowned security experts reveal tomorrow's threats today. ... Featuring 36 hands-on training courses and 10 conference tracks, networking opportunities with over 2,500 delegates from 40+ nations. ...
    (Incidents)
  • RE: email security issue
    ... often missing, wrong (forged headers or ... > are open or closed SMTP servers. ... that an experienced fellow like myself should be seeking employment ... Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: e-mail tracing
    ... there is an option to parse email headers and that gives ... you a trace of the email servers and origin. ... and spammers can send e-mails through open mail servers but we ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: RADP via REAL Usenet
    ... Motzarella wrong twice in the same sentence! ... "Usenet servers also allow alternat communication paths, ... 'download' and 'underneath'. ... headers usually only takes a few minutes. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)