Re: spoolss overflow attempt: unknow threat or false alert ?

Emanuele Rocca wrote:
Hello,

* Buozis, Martynas <martynas@xxxxxx>, [2006-09-07 16:10 +0200]:
I see many packets coming from various hosts to few servers (both
clients and servers are inside Intranet) that are identified by SNORT as
NETBIOS SMB spoolss AddPrinterEx unicode little endian overflow attempt.
I checked source hosts with AV and spyware software but found nothing,
while these packets continue to flow persistently in large amounts. Is
it some false positive by SNORT or is it an unknown security threat
(trojan/worm/virus) behind this activity?

I've got no direct experience about that alert, but the Snort signature
database can give you additional information:
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=4414

False positives:
None known.

Another reference you may find interesting is the MS Security Bulletin:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-043.mspx

ciao,
ema

Also see if it's coming from an HP printer. I had a workgroup printer that had a buggy driver, and it was flooding the print server with 10mbit of traffic.

Yank all of the printers and see if the problem goes away.

Attend the Black Hat Briefings & Training USA, July 29-August 3 in Las Vegas. World renowned security experts reveal tomorrow's threats today. Free of vendor pitches, the Briefings are designed to be pragmatic regardless of your security environment. Featuring 36 hands-on training courses and 10 conference tracks, networking opportunities with over 2,500 delegates from 40+ nations.

http://www.blackhat.com

  • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
    ... computers installed in the White House. ... after the installation, hordes of NSA-types descended on the White House to track down the ... This is yet a different form of physical security: the early "smart cards" had encryption ... Bandwidth for connected servers, the path of the data, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Need urgent help regarding security
    ... There is plenty of security info out there ... email from even a dozen servers is small. ... an OS version upgrade should not be taken lightly. ... Given that your root password was apparently found on the servers, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • [Full-Disclosure] w32.frethem.k@mm and good reading
    ... Script kiddies deface websites. ... only obfuscating your own perception of security. ... >> vulnerabilities in a particular operating system or server software ... >> Imagine a custom operating system used by only a few servers, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [Full-Disclosure] w32.frethem.k@mm and good reading
    ... Script kiddies deface websites. ... only obfuscating your own perception of security. ... >> vulnerabilities in a particular operating system or server software ... >> Imagine a custom operating system used by only a few servers, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: IIS6 Security and other web servers
    ... IIS6 Security and other web servers ... I know of no Windows architecture that is exposed directly to ... I know of a number of LAMP-type servers that are ... exposed directly to the Internet with no intervening layers. ...
    (Security-Basics)